Supplement for Success
Give your active lifestyle a boost with these 10 supplements that will encourage better health and power up your training and diet efforts.
Supplementation is an essential part of healthy living. Many busy moms want to know what supplements they can take to help them maintain energy throughout the day, reach fitness goals, and maintain healthier life styles. Let’s look at some of the most beneficial supplements for women looking to maintain lean body mass, increase energy, avoid afternoon crash, avoid sickness, and benefit from overall better health.
The top 10 essential supplements for busy, active moms:
1) MULTIVITAMIN: Busy mom’s need a great kick-start to every day! Starting your day with a multivitamin is essential in maintaining energy levels throughout the day and fueling your body with the essential vitamins busy moms lack in their daily diets. MHP makes a great multivitamin that increases endurance during exercise and provides that all day energy moms need: MHP Active Sport- Multi-vitamin.
2) FISH OIL: Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids that are found in cold-water fish. Omega 3’s lower triglycerides (a type of “bad fat” found in the body’s blood). Essentially, the “good for you fat” found in fish oil helps lower the “not so good for you fat” in your body. For those who work out and lead an active lifestyle omega 3’s also serve as an anti-inflammatory. Incorporating fish oil into your supplementation regimen is a must for maintaining proper heart health.
3) POTASSIUM: Potassium is essential in many body functions to include: nerve function, blood pressure, and muscle control. Athletes and busy moms alike can benefit from potassium-rich foods that include: lean meats, milk, fruits, and vegetables. It may be hard to consume enough potassium from food alone, especially if you’re highly active so supplementation may be needed.
4) B12: There are many benefits to B12, but the one that stands out for us mom’s is its effect on the endocrine system. B12 helps stabilize hormone levels—which we all need help with from time to time! B-12 is a great vitamin to add to your regiment if you are pre-menopausal or on a low-calorie diet.
5) EVENING PRIMROSE OIL: What doesn’t this supplement do?! Evening primrose oil is high in essential fatty acids, much like fish oils. Thus this oil helps to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and reduces risk of heart disease. This oil is also beneficial in relieving discomfort associated with menstrual symptoms. Evening Primrose has also been proven to help with fatigue, and pain. Busy mom’s facing afternoon fatigue should consider incorporating this vitamin into their daily regimen. On top of its many benefits this oil is also beneficial for skin health!!
6) VITAMIN C: People always say, “When you’re sick take your C.” Well it’s true, this vitamin helps protect the immune system, and ward off illness. This vitamin is imperative for mom’s who are exposed to the many viruses children bring home from school. Vitamin C is one of those that can be used for the whole family!
7) MAGNESIUM: Magnesium is a vital component within the cells. This pick-me-up supplement is great for combating fatigue and insomnia. It aids in maintaining balance, performing well under stress, and maintaining good health. Magnesium protects the body from several diseases, primarily those associate with stress and aging. Magnesium is an important supplement in energy production and therefore many moms’ can benefit by adding this to the regimen.
8) CALCIUM: This bone-building vitamin is essential in strengthening bones, teeth, and warding off symptoms of PMS. Calcium may also pay a role in preventing ovarian and breast cancer. Studies also show this vitamin assists in weight management. Calcium becomes increasingly important for post-menopausal women to ensure bone strength, and health.
9) PROBIOTIC: This healthy “gut bacteria” is essential for proper digestion. Recent research also suggests probiotics help ward off allergies, and boost immunity. Probiotics are also linked to reduced body fat. Sounds like a win-win!
10) CARNITINE: This is a must take vitamin for all women looking to boost energy, increase work capacity and increase athletic performance. Carnitine helps reduce stress and aids in recovery from exercise. To top it all off, it’s also a very powerful fat burner and can be used pre-workout to increase the body’s fat-burning capabilities.
So, now that you have the low down on some beneficial supplements, here are two important things to keep in mind:
> Supplements should not replace a healthy diet and exercise. They should be used to supplement what we cannot get from proper nutrition. Busy moms who are high active, and wish to maintain overall health should consider adding some supplementation to daily routine.
> It is always a good idea to consult with a physician before adding several supplements to your daily routine, especially if you have pre-existing health conditions.