Candy Apple Goes Guilt-Free
Halloween treat recreated with 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
Hi all! I’m taking you back again to the very basics of Alli’s Slim Pickins; the very premise upon which it was built. I’m taking a favorite food that is typically deemed “not so healthy” and Slim Pickininzing it to make it so! I will provide you a ballpark estimate of the nutritionals of the original version and compare it to my version! I’m going to toss these types of recipes in every couple of weeks and call it: “Slim Pickinized!” Therefore, whenever you see these words before the food, you know what the drill is!
Last month I recreated the (Chicken Quesadilla). Today, I’m bringing you a scrumptious treat that’s so abundant around the holidays, especially Halloween – the Candy Apple! It is an apple, so it’s got to be healthy, right? Sure! If you scrape off the globs of toffee, chocolate, candies, and other treats that the apple is typically smothered in!! So, I’m sure you’re thinking that there is no way this can be made healthy…but Ohhhh yes, it will be done! It is so easy to transform typically unhealthy meals into mouth-watering, waist-friendly ones.
But…candy apples are covered in, well..candy!… Yes, all of these points are true when referring to the typical dish…delicious, yes…BUT terrible from a nutritional perspective! ENTER THE SLIM PICKINS ZONE! We’re recreating this and slashing those calories to smithereens! How much? I’m glad that you asked.
|100% Taste, 0% Guilt||Original||Slim Pickinized|
It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do! It’s all about creativity my friends and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own! Don’t be nervous to re-create some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy - it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let's make it happen...
Slim Pickinized Candy Apple
1 medium apple (variety of your choice)
2 soft caramel squares
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (a blend works best vs. pure whey)
1/4 cup water (if needed)
1 TB chopped peanuts
1 wooden stick
1 piece wax paper
How to Prepare
1. Wash and thoroughly dry apple. Insert wooden stick into the center of the top of the apple, approximately 1 in deep. Set aside.
2. Heat almond milk and caramel squares in small sauce pan. Once caramel is completely melted, remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
3. Add chocolate protein powder and mix until smooth and thick.
4. Note: if coating is watery, let sit for a few more minutes until spreadable. If coating is too thick, add the ¼ cup water 1 TB at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Discard unused water.
5. Hold apple by wooden stick and roll into melted coating while at the same time smoothing over apple with a spatula until mixture is completely used and apple is fully coated.
6. Immediately roll the apple into the chopped nuts while still sticky so the nuts adhere well to the coating
7. Place the apple, top down, onto the wax paper and place in the fridge for approximately 1 hour to completely set. 8. Remove from the fridge, slice it up and …as always…enjoy! You’ve been Slim Pickinized!! YUM!
Per serving (serves 1): 376 calories, 25 grams protein, 41 gram carbohydrates, 12.6 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.