Classic appetizer recreated with 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
Hi all! I’m taking you back again to the very basics of Alli’s Slim Pickins; the very premise upon which it was built. I’m taking a favorite food that is typically deemed “not so healthy” and Slim Pickininzing it to make it so! I will provide you a ballpark estimate of the nutritionals of the original version and compare it to my version! I’m going to toss these types of recipes in every couple of weeks and call it: “Slim Pickinized!” Therefore, whenever you see these words before the food, you know what the drill is! Last month I recreated the (Fettucine Primavera). Today, I’m bringing you a classic appetizer that’s not so friendly on the waistline – the Chicken Quesadilla! I’m sure you’re thinking that there is no way this can be made healthy…but Ohhhh yes, it will be done! It is so easy to transform typically unhealthy meals into mouth-watering, waist-friendly ones.
But…chicken quesadillas are soaked in oil…and oozing with cheese… Yes, all of these points are true when referring to the typical dish…delicious, yes…BUT terrible from a nutritional perspective! ENTER THE SLIM PICKINS ZONE! We’re recreating this and slashing those calories to smithereens! How much? I’m glad that you asked…
|100% Taste, 0% Guilt||Applebee’s® Chicken Quesadilla||Slim Pickinized|
It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do! It’s all about creativity my friends and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own! Don’t be nervous to re-create some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy - it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let's make it happen...
Slim Pickinized Chicken Quesadilla
1 tsp olive oil
6 oz chicken, grilled and diced
¼ cup each, sliced: red pepper, green pepper, onion
¼ packet low sodium taco seasoning
2 TB salsa
1 oz shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
1 large low-carb tortilla (9 in)
How to Prepare
1. Coat skillet with cooking spray and place on medium-high heat.
2. Add olive oil and let heat for 20 seconds.
3. Add peppers and onions and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned and tender.
4. Add diced chicken and seasoning mix. Stir well.
5. Remove skillet from heat and pour chicken mixture into a bowl.
6. Wipe the skillet clean, then re-coat with cooking spray.
7. Place the tortilla in the pan and layer chicken mixture on top and then the salsa and then the cheese.
8. Fold the tortilla in half (like an omelette) and let cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side, until both sides of tortilla are golden brown and crispy.
9. Slice into 3-4 pieces. You’ve been Slim Pickinized!
Per serving (serves 1): 395 calories, 50 grams protein, 24 gram carbohydrates, 11 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.