Harvest Apple Spice Pancakes
"Fall in Love with Fall" - The first of a three-part culinary series
The leaves are changing colors, there are pumpkins all around, Fall is in the air! What does the Fall season make you think of? For me, I envision the taste of warm apple cider, going apple and pumpkin picking, the sight of beautifully colored leaves, the feel of cool air on my skin, the smell of spices cooking in the kitchen . . . I absolutely love this time of year on the east coast. With that said, it was so easy for me to create the next recipes for this 3-part series: “Fall in love with Fall!”
I’m going to start with Harvest Apple Spice Pancakes, followed by Butternut Squash Stew, and wrap up this series with Pumpkin Pie Pudding. All healthy you ask? Of course, I wouldn’t have it any other way! If you don’t already know, this is what I am all about.
Too many people get caught up in thinking that eating healthy means avoiding taste and this is absolutely not true! I’m here to bring you recipes that still allow you to enjoy the comfort foods of the seasons, recipes that recreate those favorite “forbidden” foods into healthy versions (or should I say “Slim Pickinize”), recipes that jazz up “healthy” foods and leave your taste buds begging for more . . .you with me? It can and will be done. I’m here to prove that to you. You ready? I am!
It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on my Fall-in-lovers, let's make it happen...
Fall in Love with Fall: Harvest Apple Spice Pancakes
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ea: ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped apple
1/3 cup almond milk
1 whole egg
1/4 cup egg whites
1 TB plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 TB water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Prepare (wait until you see how incredibly simple this is!!)
1. Put all (yes, all) ingredients in a bowl and mix together until a smooth batter is formed. (Depending upon protein powder used, batter might be thick; if so, add additional water 1 TB at a time until batter is pourable). Set aside.
2. Coat skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray and place on medium-high heat. Allow to heat up for approximately 30 seconds. (Depending how big your skillet is, you might need to repeat this process to cook all pancakes).
3. Pour batter slowly onto heated skillet to form approximate 3” round pancakes. Fit as many as you can at one time so you can eat sooner ☺
4. Let cook for approximately 2 minutes or until bubbles form on top of pancake and underside is nice and brown. Once this occurs, flip pancakes over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until pancakes are firm and underside is also browned. Stack on a plate. (Repeat this process until all batter is used).
5. Grab a fork and dig in to your stack of pancakes! Are you in love?? Enjoy! ☺
Per serving (serves 1): 356 calories, 30.5 grams protein, 42.7 gram carbohydrates, 7.1 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.