"Hawaiian Tropic" Smoothie
Chill out before you begin your hot beach day with this breakfast smoothie!
Summer’s here! So are those skimpy bathing suits, beach day extravaganzas, and the hot blazing sun! So, do you deprive your taste buds of those tasty summertime treats in order to maintain that well-earned lean physique of yours? Not a chance!! Do you hide indoors to protect yourself from the dangers of the sun? Well, that’s up to you…but I’ll help as best I can with both of these dilemmas!
The first of this 3-part summertime series features a delicious breakfast smoothie to re-energize your body after your nighttime zzz’s. This recipe feature provides helpful tips to stay safe as possible in the sun (it’s no coincidence that I’ve developed the “Hawaiian Tropic” smoothie for this recipe). Next week we’ll move right on to “Naked” turkey burgers and pasta to refuel your glycogen stores after your run on the beach, volleyball match, or laps in the pool. This recipe feature will provide you with a list of healthy and convenient foods to pack in your cooler. The last recipe of this series will feature a mouth-watering Key Largo Lime Dessert! Now that’s some serious, sinless, summertime satiety!
Ahhh…the sun. Feel the rays on your skin… it feels so good… and heck, it even makes us look good (in the short term)! However, the sun can be dangerous and may cause wrinkles and is the number one cause of skin cancer. Therefore, I still enjoy the sun (as it also provides us with the Vitamin D) but protecting my skin and health is also extremely important!
TIPS FOR SUN SAFETY:
• Apply sunscreen and/or cosmetic products with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or greater at least 30 minutes before sun exposure and then every few hours (especially if you sweat easily).
• Wear sunglasses and/or contact lenses (if necessary) with total UV protection.
• Sit under an umbrella, especially during peak hours.
• Avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible during peak UV radiation hours between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
• Perform skin self-exams regularly to become familiar with existing growths and to notice any changes or new growths
• 80% of a person's lifetime sun exposure is acquired before age 18. If you are a parent, be a good role model and foster skin cancer prevention habits in your child
What’s also important? Making my mouth water! So let’s get to the recipe! Beach day and poolside trips with friends and family can be fun, easy, and delicious! No more sacrificing your beach ready body for those delectable outdoor indulgences. It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on my sun-worshippers, let's make it happen...
“Hawaiian Tropic” Smoothie
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1 medium banana, frozen
1 tsp. coconut extract
1.5 scoops vanilla protein powder
2-4 ice cubes (use more or less depending upon desired thickness)
How to Prepare:
1. Put water, almond milk, banana, almonds, coconut extract, and protein powder into blender. Blend approx. 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth.
2. Add ice to blender. Blend/Whip on high speed for an add’l 20 seconds or until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Add ice until you have reached your desired thickness.
3. Now comes the easy part…pour it in a glass and drink it up (or down depending upon how you look at it)!! Enjoy!!!
Per serving (serves 1): 366 calories, 34 grams protein, 35.7 grams carbohydrates, 9.8 grams fat.
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.