Key Lime Protein Squares
Sink your teeth into this piece of tropical heaven when you're craving a rich, tangy treat that's low in fat.
I wasn’t a big fan of lemon or lime until I met my husband. It’s interesting how our tastes change as we get older. Traditional lemon bars and Key lime pie (while delicious) ooze with fat and empty sugars. I wanted to make a bar both he and I could enjoy without sacrificing too much of the flavor. This one really hits the spot while keeping the macronutrients in check.
Makes 16 square bars
• 1 whole egg
• 2 egg whites
• 8 oz softened fat-free cream cheese
• 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
• 1 tsp grated fresh lime zest (an entire lime)
• 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 3/4 cup low-carb, low-calorie, low-fat vanilla protein powder
• 3/4 cup stevia granular, or sweetener of choice
• 2 tbsp reduced-fat unsweetened shredded coconut (such as let’s do organic)
• 1 tbsp cornstarch or other thickener
1/ Preheat oven to 350°.
2/ Whisk egg and egg whites in a small bowl.
3/ Combine cream cheese and all remaining ingredients with a blender.
4/ Once smooth, add eggs and blend until mixed thoroughly.
5/ Coat 8x8 cooking pan with spray.
6/ Add batter.
7/ Bake for 30–35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving): 70 calories, 1g fat, 4g carbs, 12g protein