Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Add this version of a Lebanese classic to your off-season diet for a change
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large head of cabbage
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 garlic bulb
Tip: Swap ground beef for ground turkey or chicken as a healthier option.
1. Heat a large pot of water. Remove core of cabbage, then place in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, or until softened. Slowly peel off each layer of cabbage and place in colander to drain.
2. Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Take 2 tablespoons of filling along the top quarter of a cabbage leaf allowing a little space on each side and then roll up into a tight cigar, folding in the sides.
4. Once rolled, place in bottom of pot. Continue until mixture is used up, making sure you place the cabbage leaves tightly together in pot. (You will have several layers of rolls.)
5. Between each layer, place a few cloves of garlic.
6. Mix 3-4 cups of water with juice from lemons, then pour over rolls in pot. This mix should completely cover the leaves.
7. Place heavy plate on top of leaves to compress and hold rolls in place while cooking. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer gently for 1.5-2 hours.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 40 calories, 5.3 g protein, 0.5 g carbs, 1.8 g fats