Low Carb Chicken Parm with Spaghetti Squash
A healthy twist on a chicken favorite with a low carb alternative to pasta!
Hopefully you enjoyed last week’s Low Carb recipe feature! (Click Here to check it out) You did? Fantastic! Well, it’s your lucky day because we’re moving right into another low carb recipe this week! Hey, you e-mailed me asking for some low-carb dishes, so I’m delivering on my promise to provide you, the readers, what YOU would like to eat! (see below for my e-mail address)
Every once in a while I’ll throw in some food that you might have passed in your grocery store time after time, but never really knew what it was OR how to prepare it. Today is one of those days! Introducing to you – the Spaghetti Squash! If you are a low-carber, you might just deem me as your new “bestie”, as this food is an excellent replacement for pasta. Visit the following link to get your education on before proceeding with this recipe…it’s SO worth it!! http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/spagsquash.htm
Now that you’re all brushed up on the amazingly delicious, healthy spaghetti squash let’s get to cooking some scrumptious food, sans the carbs! You ready? I am! So let’s get to it, my carb restricted friend. It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information (inc. net carb count), and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Let's make it happen...
(2) 8 oz chicken breasts, raw
1 egg white
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup Fiber One cereal
1 TB Italian seasoning herb blend
½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup tomato sauce (w/ approx. 60 calories)
¼ cup low fat mozzarella cheese
1 small spaghetti squash, approx 2 lbs. (see above link for preparation instructions)
1 tsp olive oil
¼ cup minced onion
salt & pepper, to taste
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius. Coat a small baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add Fiber One cereal to food processor and blend until breadcrumb like consistency (if you don’t have a food processor, you can put in a plastic bag and crush with the back of a heavy spoon). 3. Put Fiber One crumbs into a Ziploc bag and add the Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Set aside. 4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and almond milk until well blended. 5. Take one chicken breast and dip both sides into egg mixture then put into Ziploc bag. Repeat with the other chicken breast. Seal then shake the Ziploc bag until both chicken breasts are even coated with the Fiber One mixture.
6. Place the chicken breasts onto the baking pan and put into preheated oven for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
7. In the meantime, coat a skillet with cooking spray and add 1 tsp olive oil and onion over med-high heat. When onion is tender and slightly browned (approximately 5 mins), add the prepared spaghetti squash – about 2.5 cups (Refer to the link in the Intro for preparation instructions).
8. Cook squash, stirring every few minutes, for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit in pan.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven and evenly layer half of the tomato sauce then half of the cheese onto each breast.
10. Put back into the oven and broil (you must change oven temp setting to Broil) for approximately 5 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
11. Apportion half of the spaghetti squash and one chicken breast onto a plate. (Share the other portion with a special someone or save for leftovers tomorrow!) Enjoy!
Per serving (serves 2): 417 calories, 68 grams protein, 16 grams net carbohydrates, 9 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.