SWEET N’ SPICY SALMON KABOBS
Get your body the healthy fats it needs with this savory dinner dish!
Have you filled up on your fats today? I hope so! If you read last week’s recipe (click here), hopefully you have dispelled your fear of fat and realize that getting your good fats is so essential! Many Americans are Omega-3 deficient because of the over-processed foods available to us. These foods are often convenient to eat if traveling, on-the-go, and/or if you simply don’t take the time to cook your own healthy foods. However, you are only hurting yourselves by eating them on a frequent basis. How? What would happen if your body didn’t get the proper amount/balance of EFA’s (essential fatty acids)?
One of the most common symptoms of Omega-3 deficiency is depression. By itself, that’s a good enough reason for me to ensure I’m getting enough! Add to this the potential for fatigue, achy joints, brittle hair and nails, irregularity, bloating, constipation, high blood pressure, poor concentration…need I continue? Just think how terrible it would be to experience any, some, or all of the above! If you already do, consider if you simply might just be Omega-3 deficient!
While there is no recommended daily allowance (RDA) for Omega-3 fatty acids, you should try to get at least 1 gram per day for all of the aforementioned reasons. Nutritionists also generally recommend eating cold-water fish (i.e. salmon, cod, tuna) 2 to 3 times per week. If you’re thinking “eewwww” because you either a.) Already eat fish often but are bored OR b.) You’re reluctant to eat it because you don’t think you will like it, let me help you out!!!
Getting your EFA’s never tasted so good! Let’s get those Omega-3 fatty acids flowing through your system and give your body what it simply can’t produce on its own! It's all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe in this “EFA” series provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information (inc. omega-3 count), and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on my essential friends, let's make it happen...
NOTE: In next week’s final recipe incorporating EFA’s, I’ll give you the best ways to get your daily dose, so….stay tuned!
SWEET N’ SPICY SALMON KABOBS
1 lb raw salmon, cut into 1.5 in cubes
8 cherry tomatoes
1 large yellow pepper, cored; seeded and cut into 1 in pieces
1/2 onion, cut into 1 in pieces
4 wooden skewers
1 tsp each: cayenne pepper, sea salt, parsley
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 TB light brown sugar
1 TB reduced-sugar ketchup
How to Prepare
1. Separate salmon, pepper and onion cubes into 4 equal piles. Add 2 cherry tomatoes to each of these piles.
2. Thread salmon and vegetables onto each of four skewers, alternating salmon cubes with onions, yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes.
3. Put skewers into sealable plastic bag and add all Marinade ingredients.
4. Seal bag and gently massage to blend and coat the skewers. Put in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. In the meantime, preheat oven to Broil - make sure top oven rack is approximately 6 inches from broiler.
6. Cover broiler pan with foil and arrange skewers on top. Put in oven for approximately 3 min. Turn kabobs and broil for an additional 3 to 4 min or until salmon is no longer pink and veggies are well-browned.
7. Remove from oven and as always, enjoy! If you wish, serve over brown rice.
Per serving – 2 skewers
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.
STAY TUNED FOR ANOTHER EFA-LOADED RECIPE NEXT WEEK!!!